For you that encounter anything of the following after installation of adaware antivirus 12:
- The window of adware updater is black.
- The desktop is black.
- Error message “Msi transaction owner change failed”.
- The web installer hangs and shows "Done" but nothing else happens.
The most common cause is an old driver of the graphic card, usually a graphic card from AMD (can also be called ATI or Radeon) but can occur for graphic cards from Intel too.
Adaware software (Lavasoft) appreciates if you can start a new topic in the forum and give them the following information.
- The manufacturer and model of your graphic card.
- The graphic card driver version.
- The files in the folder C:\ProgramData\adaware.
- If you have been able to find a new version of the video card and if that solved the problem.
1. To find the manufacturer and model of your graphic card
Press and hold down the Windows key on the keyboard while pressing the 'R' key (release both keys).
In the Open box, type dxdiag and then click OK.
The DirectX Diagnostic Tool opens. Click the Display tab.
On the Display tab, information about your graphics card is shown in the Device section.
Please, reply with Name, Manufacturer and Chipset.
2. The graphic card driver version
On Display tab in DirectX Diagnostic Tool, the version number is displayed to the right.
Please, reply with the Version number, Date and WHQL signed.
3. The files in the folder C:\ProgramData\adaware
To see all files you have to select to show hidden files, see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14201/windows-show-hidden-files for a description.
For security reasons, please restore the setting when you're done with this instruction.
Please, find the folder C:\ProgramData\adaware\.
Right-click the folder name and select Send to - Compressed folder.
A new zip file, called adaware.zip, will be created.
Please, attach the file adaware.zip to your reply. If it is too large, please upload it to a file sharing service, e.g. Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, and link to the file in your reply.
4. Update display driver
Visit the web site of the graphic card manufacturer and try to update the driver. You cannot trust that Device Manager is able to update the driver.
If you cannot find a newer version, please ask us for help.
If a new version of the driver solved your problem, please inform us since that can help another user.
Please sign in to leave a comment.