There are two methods for Ad-Watch to block pop-ups: aggressive pop-up blocking and black listing.
Note: A white list allows through all sites on the list and blocks others. A black list blocks all sites on the list and allows through others.
If you want to see a particular pop-up but cannot, and you know that your browser or other software is not blocking advertisements including pop-ups, first check whether the pop-up is being blocked by Ad-Watch through its aggressive pop-up blocking. Note: White lists are not included in the current Ad-Aware version and you cannot add the pop-up to your list of trusted sites. If it is not, then modify your black list.
Do as follows:
- Disable aggressive popup-blocking. The aggressive popup-blocking feature is based on behavior and cannot be modified to allow certain sites. It is turned on by default. To turn it off:
- Open Ad-Aware.
- Click on the â€œAd-Aware Configuration Windowâ€? icon.
- Click on â€œTweakâ€?.
- Click the â€œ+â€? sign next to â€œAd-Watchâ€? to expand the Ad-Watch branch in the tree view
- Deselect the â€œBlock pop-ups aggressivelyâ€? option. It is recommended to have this option turned on, so you might want to turn it back after you are done viewing the pop-up you wish to allow.
- Try removing the URL of the pop-up from the black list. If disabling aggressive pop-up blocking has no effect, remove the URL of the pop-up you wish to view from the Ad-Watch black list. The black list can be manually altered. Do as follows:
- Make sure that logging of pop-ups is turned on. In Ad-Watch, click on â€œToolsâ€?, then â€œOptionsâ€?.
- In the right-hand panel, scroll down until you find the â€œLog Blocked Popupsâ€? option.
- Click the cross on red circle to turn it into a cross on green circle. The "Log Blocked Popups" option is now enabled.
- Surf to the site that has the pop-up you wish to allow. When Ad-Watch closes the popup the site attempts to display, it will add an entry to the end of the Event log containing the URL of the blocked pop-up, e.g., <a href="http://www.advertising.com/" target="_blank">http://www.advertising.com/</a>.
- In Ad-Watch, click â€œPopupsâ€?. The list of blocked sites (black list) is displayed.
- In this list, locate your pop-up and delete it.
- Note: The black list contains only the domain names of the blocked sites. Assuming the URL of your pop-up is <a href="http://www.advertising.com/" target="_blank">http://www.advertising.com/</a>, the black list entry for this site is advertising.com. Another way to edit the black list is to open it in Notepad. The file name of the list is â€œsites.txtâ€?, and if you can find it in your Ad-Aware folder. If you edit â€œsites.txtâ€? in Notepad, restart Ad-Watch to make the changes effective.
Please sign in to leave a comment.